2012's sugarbeet harvest for us is in the books! We finished last night. And as soon as the last truck was home, and the last tractor was parked everyone let out a big sigh of relief.
All in all harvest went pretty well. We only had 2 major breakdowns. First major breakdown put one of our semis out of commission. Thankfully a friend of ours let us borrow one of his so we could keep our moving along. Second breakdown was this past Sunday when our 12 row defoliator broke down. It slowed digging down tremendously. The 6 row defoliator couldn't keep up with 3 diggers, so we had to shut down 2 diggers as repairs were being made.
The biggest thing that effects how, when and where we dig beets is the weather. And Mother Nature threw everything at us this year. First it was too hot, then it was too cold. Then we got rain and it was too muddy. It was 19 days from our first day of digging til we got the last beet dug. Of those 19 days we only dug about 9 1/2 days. But we got it done!
So it's a wrap on sugarbeet harvest for 2012. Now on to combining corn, fixing corrals, fall cow work, weaning calves and getting hay hauled home. The fun never stops at this cow camp!!