Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Apples everywhere!

Apples. Apples. Apples.
 I don't have any apple trees, but my mother in law has some in her yard and so does my uncle. Last Sunday, while my mother was here, my girls and I and her picked lots and lots of apples. Tons of apples.

We tried a new apple bar recipe that I thought I would share with you. The crust is a little different as it ha cream cheese in it, but oh so good.

I didn't get a picture of the bars before my husband and kids dug in, but here's proof they enjoyed them.  *I am not a food photographer, or any kind of photographer.  I am slowly learning*


half eaten pan of Apple Bars!

Apple Bars

Crust:
8 oz softened Cream Cheese
1 C softened Butter
3 C Flour

Cream butter and cream cheese together.  Gradually add in the flour.  Divide dough into half.  Take first half and roll out in between two greased/floured pieces of wax paper.  Place into 15x10 greased pan.  Roll out second piece for top crust.

Filling:
9 C sliced apples (roughly)
1 1/4 C Sugar or Splenda
1/4 C Flour
1 tsp Cinnamon

Combine sugar, flour and cinnamon and pour over apples.  Mix together.  Pour apple concoction into pan, onto dough.  Place top crust over apple concoction.  Tuck in the side and slit some vent holes in the top.  Bake for 35-40 minutes at 400*.

Glaze:
3/4 C powdered sugar
1 TBL water

Mix sugar and water.  Drizzle over hot apple bars.

Let Apple Bars cool for 30 minutes or until the aroma drives you nuts that you can't wait any longer!

*Next time I think I would add a bit more cinnamon and maybe a little nutmeg.
*Depending on the tartness of your apples some brown sugar maybe needed
*May also server without the glaze with either ice cream or whipped cream
*My recipes will always contain some vague measurements and directions as that is kind of how I roll!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment